http://uneteygana.net/bigpro/01/woodworking/
Wood Profits Banner

domingo, 16 de junio de 2019

Not Getting The Most Of Your Space

 

Getting the most out of a small shop takes more than just having the right tools set in the right places. One of the keys to getting a modest space to work really well is to ensure that all its work surfaces enjoy a sweet synergistic relationship with one another.

In my shop. this means that the table saw serves as the benchmark height for every other horizontal surface within an B' radius of the blade. An outfeed table, a side table (which holds an inverted router and allows me to use my table saw fence as a router table fence) and the top of the jointer fence (a length of wood bolter to its metal fence) surround the saw and are set to that benchmark.

To further encourage synergy, I also built my main assembly bench and a storage cabinet to the same height.

Now none of the tables get in the way of one another when I'm working with large components and materials. In another part of the shop, I built a workbench next to the drill press at the same height as the drill press table to provide additional support when drilling long boards. Similarly, my sliding compound miter saw gets a big helping hand from a pair of tool storage cabinets that I set to either side of the saw, their top surfaces level with the saw table.

The bottom line is that I seldom. if ever, have to move furnishings around (though sometimes I do have to clear them of) in order to work with large pieces of stock. My shop furniture is all one happy family working together to keep me happy.




No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario